The Asheville River Arts District (ARAD) is a day trip in itself if you love different art mediums and meeting the artists. The ARAD neighborhood sits along the French Broad River and is home to more than 165 artists with working studios spread out in 18 turn-of-the-century industrial buildings. (Please be aware that not all studios are open every day. Visit http://www.riverartsdistrict.com/ for an up todate list of who’s open the day you want to go!) Second Saturdays of each month offer special demonstrations, classes, and fun.
- Turn Left out of the front parking lot.
- Go about 6 ½ miles tI-26
- Turn left onto I-26 West (towards Asheville)
- Follow I-26 for about 12 miles then watch for signs for I-240.
- Take I-240 texit 1-C (Amboy Road)
- Stay on Amboy Road for about 1 ½ miles.
- Turn left at 2nd light ontLyman Street.
The 18 buildings are spread out on Lyman Street, Riverside Drive, Depot Street, Clingman Avenue, Haywood Road, West Haywood Street, and Roberts Street. There are als7 restaurants, a beverage shop, and a Microbrewery in the ARAD.
If you are still looking to enjoy more art head up to the Folk Art Center on the Blue Ridge Parkway.
- Take Lyman Street west to Clingman Ave.
- Turn Left on Clingman Ave.
- Take the first right to stay on Clingman Ave.
- Turn Left onto I-240 East ramp.
- Go about 5 miles, I-240 ends and becomes US-74 Alt. East
- Take the exit on Right for Blue Ridge Parkway
- Turn Right onto the Blue Ridge Parkway
- Go about 3 miles.
- Folk Art Center will be on your Left.
To return to 1898 Waverly Inn.
- Turn right out of Folk Art Center.
- Take Blue Ridge Parkway about 7 miles to US-25 South/Hendersonville Road.
- Turn Right onto US-25 South/Hendersonville Road.
- Follow US-25 South about 15 miles (will change names to US-25 Business/Asheville Hwy.)
- Turn Left onto Bearcat Blvd.
- Turn Right into gravel parking area between white fences (1898 Waverly Inn back parking lot.)
- Look for steps on right side. Back door is at top of steps.